I recently took a personality assessment on a website called 16personalities.com. Now, I’ve taken personality assessments before, but none that I thought did as good a job at nailing down how I see the world as this one. It was a little startling, but honestly a huge relief to know that someone out there understood a little bit about me and the way I operate.
Anywho, according to the results, I am an INFP-T (introverted, intuitive, feeling, prospecting, turbulent), or Mediator, whose strategy is “Constant Improvement.” What does this mean? Among other things:
"These personalities’ caution in the face of unfamiliar challenges can sometimes look like a lack of motivation, but this is usually just self-doubt – Constant Improvers have a strong drive, but it comes paired with a strong fear of failure. They invest a great deal of their identity in their successes, and even a minor misstep or embarrassment can be crushing.” (Source)
This is so me it’s not even funny, and the fear of failure is real, y’all!
But just as real is the drive to succeed, to want to try new things and to do my best at everything I do. So when faced with these two opposing parts of my personality, sometimes I need a little help.
I love motivational quotes. I love quotes of any kind, really. I spend an inordinate amount of time scrolling through quote pages like BrainyQuote, GoodReads and even Pinterest checking out quotes that might become new favorites.
Here I’ve collected some of my very favorites that help give me the little push I need to get going on my next project, deal with an unfamiliar social situation, or even get a workout in when I’m feeling a little paralyzed:
When I Need Courage To Try Something New
1. “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.” - Andre Gide
2. "Believe you can and you’re halfway there.” - Theodore Roosevelt
3. “Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.” – Arthur Ashe
4. “The secret of getting ahead is getting started.” - Mark Twain
When I’m Worrying About What Can Go Wrong
5. “It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all, in which case you have failed by default.” - JK Rowling
6. “You do it because the doing of it is the thing. The doing is the thing. The talking and worrying and thinking is not the thing.” - Amy Poehler
7. “Stop worrying about learning; stop worrying about taking it all in, and just fricking do it!” - Tara Gentile, Being Boss Podcast Ep. 92
When I’m Feeling Self-Conscious
8. “Love yourself first and everything else falls into line. You really have to love yourself to get anything done in this world.” – Lucille Ball
9. “You can make more friends in two months by becoming interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get other people interested in you.” – Dale Carnegie
When I Need To Get Out For A Run, But Think I Can’t
10. “It’s not so much that I began to run, but that I continued.” - Hal Higdon
11. “What seems hard now will one day be your warm-up.” - Unknown
12. “Run when you can, walk if you have to, crawl if you must; just never give up.” - Dean Karnazes
What are you favorite quotes? Share them in the comments!