As I work to figure out what the identity of this blog is, I want to try some new things with it to get the creative juices flowing and see what works. With that in mind, I’m cooking up some weekly feature ideas, one-off posts and even some recipes that I’d like to share. So to kick that off, I’m launching my first Friday Favorites feature!
Everyone and their mother does Friday Favorites, I know. But I’m someone. And I have favorites. So I’m hopping on this bandwagon.
Here are some of my favorite things I’m digging at the moment:
- Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides: I got tipped off to this supplement on Instagram and I absolutely love it! Collagen helps promote strong hair, skin and nails, and I’ve really seen a difference since I started using it, especially with my nails. It’s unflavored and I just put two scoops into my tea every morning. I get it at my local health food store, but you can also find it on Amazon!
- Tone It Up Vanilla Protein Powder: I’ve been following TIU for a while now, so I was excited to hear that they partnered up with Target to bring some of their products to stores. I like to add protein powder to smoothies and healthy baked goods, and this is a tasty gluten-free, plant-based option. The powder also comes in chocolate, and they carry two different protein bar flavors (but the vanilla powder is my favorite).
- Overnight Oats: Have you heard of overnight oats? If you haven’t, it’s the easiest most delicious thing in the world! The base is pretty simple (rolled oats, almond milk, protein powder), but you can customize them to any flavors you want.
Here’s a combo I tried recently that I really liked:
1 cup rolled oats
3/4ish cup unsweetened almond milk
1 scoop Tone It Up Vanilla Protein
1 small apple, diced
1 tsp cinnamon
Mix ingredients together, divide into two mason jars and refrigerate overnight.
And a simple and delicious — and did you know oats are gluten-free?! I was excited to learn that — breakfast will be waiting for you in the morning! (I also like peanut butter and banana ONOs.)
- Gaiam Compact Foam Roller: I recently had a massage and the therapist basically told me that every single part of my body was tight, which I could have told her myself, honestly. I have a massage stick, but I really wanted a foam roller to really get in deep. This works wonders on the sides of my legs and on my hamstrings, and it’s small, so it’s easily tucked away. I got it at Target, but I can’t find it on the Target website, so you get a link to Macy’s.
- Pineapple: I recently bought a whole pineapple on a whim and holy… I forgot how good pineapple is! It. Is. So. Good. I just want to eat it all the time.
- Instagram Stories: IG has really upped their game recently, and I find myself sucked in more and more. Not sure if this is a good or a bad thing.
- Food docs on Netflix: The other day, someone posted on Instagram a list of good food documentaries, so I wanted to sit down and watch a couple, because I have been super interested in food and nutrition lately. The other day, I watched one called Forks Over Knives, which was all about how our diets affect us physically. It made a really strong case for a whole foods, plant-based diet, which sounds pretty scary to this American meat and cheese eater. But I was compelled by the data they presented and can see myself at least trying to go mostly vegan where I only eat animal byproducts on special occasions? Is that a thing?
- Jimmy Buffett songs: I grew up associating Jimmy Buffett with summer, and I’m ready for summer and vacation, so I’ve been listening to a little JB to get in the mood.
- Master of None: Have you watched Aziz Ansari’s show on Netflix? The second season just came out and it is GOOD. I watch all 10 episodes in two days. Go watch it now.
That’s all I have this Friday! What are you Friday Favorites?